Talk to one of our specialists for further details on our small group safaris in India.
This intrepid itinerary takes you off the beaten track within the Indian Himalayas, where you'll go in search of wolves, brown bears and the grey ghost of the mountains, the ever-elusive snow leopard.
As one of our flagship NWS RAW safaris, this expedition will take you far off the beaten track on a journey through the mystical region of Ladakh, a land of spiritual cultures, elusive wildlife and awe-inspiring scenery. The high-altitude locations visited on this itinerary are cold, harsh, mountainous, and often inaccessible to all but the most determined traveller. Those ready for adventure will be able to explore a landscape populated by the hardy wildlife of the Himalayas, including wolves and brown bears. On the course of your travels you will hopefully become one of the few people on earth to have seen snow leopards in the wild with your own eyes. Along the way you’ll get to experience seldom-visited Ladakh, a place where tradition runs deep. Regardless of what wildlife you may encounter here, your time spent venturing through Ladakh’s austere landscape and discovering its ancient Buddhist monasteries will leave you with an unforgettable experience.
What makes this trip extraordinary
- Hike through the awe-inspiring Himalayas while tracking the wildlife that calls this region home.
- Spend eight nights exploring the springtime hills of Ladakh in search of Himalayan wolves and Himalayan brown bears as they emerge from their winter dens.
- Search for the most elusive and mysterious of all the big cats – the snow leopard - in the company of an expert local guide.
- Catch sight of the other animals that live here, including the ibex, bharal, urial, Tibetan sand fox and golden eagle.
- Stay at the remote Himalayn Brown Bear Camp in the Ulley Valley, seeking out India's largest predator as they feed, mate and raise their cubs.
- Learn about a forgotten way of life in the remote villages and monasteries of Ladakh.
- Leave the usual safari destinations behind and strike out towards a destination that still holds secrets waiting to be discovered.