The gorilla may not be humanity's closest living relative – that honour goes to the chimpanzee and bonobo – but for many, there are few experiences more powerful in the natural world than coming face to face with gorillas. This ultimate gorilla safari is tailored for the ultimate gorilla fan, providing no fewer than six opportunities to see the apes first-hand. Spending time with these amiable apes is an experience that will last long in the memory – pay close attention to the play of light and shadow among the foliage and watch how the gorillas interact with one another, from the smallest baby to the mighty silverback. By all means, take your camera, your batteries and your equipment, but try to take to time to truly immerse yourself in your surroundings, and connect with these intelligent primate cousins of ours as they go about their lives mere metres away from you. Watching a gorilla through a lens is magical enough in itself, but to look into one’s eyes with your own is to truly get a sense of our place in the world.
What makes this trip extraordinary
- Track some of the world's few remaining mountain gorillas in both Uganda and Rwanda.
- Embark on further tracking excursions in the Republic of Congo, in search of the western lowland gorilla.
- Six gorilla tracking experiences in total (with the option of adding a seventh in the Republic of Congo).
- Discover rare species such as forest elephant, forest buffalo, bongo, sitatunga, various monkeys and the many rare birds that inhabit the wilderness of the Republic of Congo.
- Visit the moving Genocide Memorial in Rwanda, "The Land of a Thousand Hills".
- Immerse yourself in the montane forests of Bwindi in Uganda.