Coming in 2023 or 2024, you have an incredible opportunity to join the first-ever hybrid airship expedition to land at the North Pole. This will be a 36hour journey to one of the most inaccessible places on Earth, and all onboard a revolutionary airship.
Large-scale hybrid airships offer an alternative to fossil-fuelled aviation and gives the most energy-saving potential in aviation in the near future. Hybrid airships can save an excess of 90% of the energy used and the remaining 10% energy can fairly easily be non-fossil. They don’t need runways, they only need an open, relatively flat space to take off and land. In the future, this technology offers the opportunity for undeveloped regions to develop transport systems without the footprint or leadtime of construction infrastructure.
It truly is exciting times for sustainable travel.
Starting from Svalbard at 90 degrees north, our route and altitude will depend on the weather conditions and favourable tailwinds. You will travel to the North Pole without a footprint, without a mark in the snow, without interference with nature. We aim to take the most scenic route northbound from Svalbard, flying over icebergs towards one of the most remote places on the planet. A quiet visit with unprecedented views from the panorama windows at an altitude low enough for wildlife spotting. Once landed on the North Pole, we explore the landscape and terrain with our guide. Our Expedition leader, Robert Swan, will inform us about the climate and nature of the Arctic region and the ever-changing environment of the geographical North Pole. Robert Swan is the first man in history to walk both the North and South Poles. In January 2018, Rob and his son Barney completed the first-ever expedition to the South Pole powered solely by clean energy technologies.
What makes this trip extraordinary
- Travel in a large-scale hybrid airship
- Join expedition leader, Robert Swan, the first man in history to walk both the North and South Poles
- Visit one of the most remote places on the planet