Just 140km from the northern coast of Siberia lies Wrangel Island, a remote yet starkly beautiful landmass in the Arctic Ocean that is home to one of the highest concentrations of polar bears on the planet. On this journey to the top of the world you’ll marvel at the ice bears’ size and numbers, and watch enraptured as they hunt, eat and sleep here in their natural habitat. Due to the retreating pack ice at this time of year, you’ll be able to sail further north than most travellers ever reach, and learn from local rangers about the wildlife and history of the region.
What makes this trip extraordinary
- Search for polar bears as they hunt on land and across the pack ice.
- Test your photography skills as seabirds swoop around your expedition ship, the Spirit of Enderby, which will be dwarfed by the magnificent cliffs rising from the sea.
- Look out for migratory whales as they breach and surface for air.
- Sail past rocky shorelines and ice floes where seals and walrus congregate.
- Spot Arctic foxes moving light-footed across the tundra.
- Visit a collection of remote Russian islands that very few people have ever set foot on.
As well as Wrangel Island, additional stops on your journey will allow you to experience some truly wild corners of Russia’s Far East.