Flying in from Cape Town, you have the unique opportunity to see Antarctica from the air before you land at 'Unknown International Airport' for the start of your adventure. Staying at the unique Whichaway Camp, you head out for an unrivalled opportunity to see the Atka Bay Emperor Penguin Colony, which is a 2.5 hour scenic flight from the camp and is home to over 6,000 birds and their chicks. Unafraid of human presence, it is not uncommon for intrigued birds to approach as you watch them go about their daily lives.
For the next few days you are free to explore Antarctica with a huge host of activities, from kite-skiing and trekking, to 4x4 drives and hiking. Then spend your evenings around the camp sharing your stories and discovering some of the lesser-known history of Antarctica and the record-breaking expeditions that it has been home to.
What makes this trip extraordinary?
- See Antarctica from the air, including an aerial view of the Atka Bay Emperor Penguin Colony.
- Spend some time on the continent of Antarctica itself.
- Have a go at kite-skiing around camp, followed by a trek to the high point of the Oasis.
- Drive in 4x4s to a largely unexplored mountain range and amongst towering formations of rock, guided by our expert team of polar explorers, you can ski where few have been before and even reach the summit of a mountain.
- Visit an area known as “Neverland” and, using ropes, walk on the edge of a 200ft cliff overlooking the magnificent ice waves.
- Discover the ice waves below the camp, delving into the series of ice tunnels that are as surreal as they are beautiful.
- Enjoy a visit to the nearby Russian science station to learn more about their work, followed by a genuine Russian sauna!