A voyage to the ends of the earth always makes for a remarkable adventure, but in 2021 you have the chance to embark on a truly once-in-a-lifetime journey. On December 4th, a total solar eclipse will be visible to expedition ships in a portion of the Southern Ocean, between South Georgia and the South Orkney Islands. If the tides are kind, you will be there on board the M/V Sea Spirit to witness the world plunge into darkness as part of an extraordinary celestial event. Couple this with a diverse array of polar wildlife and some of the planet's most remote, pristine and jaw-dropping landscapes, and you have an expedition that you won't want to miss.
What makes this trip extraordinary
- Enjoy the dramatic scenery and wildlife of Antarctica.
- Experience the wildlife paradise of the Falkland Islands.
- Explore the ‘Serengeti of the South’, the incredible island of South Georgia.
- Navigate around tabular icebergs in zodiacs.
- Discover vast penguin rookeries.
- Watch for whales from the ship’s observation decks.
- Identify seabirds from the bow of your ship.
- Cruise by glaciers and into deep fjords.
- Set foot on the Antarctic continent.
- Admire the solar eclipse from your vantage point in the Southern Ocean.