This exclusive pioneering itinerary offers you a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to assist a research team and be photographed with the mighty blue whale, led by one of two world-renowned photographers: Patrick Dykstra and Joshua Barton. Patrick was part of the first team of photographers to locate and interact with blue whales off the coast of Sri Lanka following the nation’s civil war, while Joshua was among the first to photograph transient orcas in these same waters. Both have developed an expertise that is unmatched when it comes to close encounters with Sri Lanka's marine wildlife. You will also be joined on your safari by a team of local researchers, allowing you to assist with their conservation efforts throughout your trip.
Spend your time heading out into the ocean in search of these gentle giants, before joining them in the water for a truly magical experience. When back on land, relax and enjoy the comforts of the stunning Weligama Bay Resort and reflect upon your unforgettable underwater encounters.
What makes this trip extraordinary?
- Swim with magnificent blue whales at the optimum time for best visibility.
- Be photographed with the whales in the water.
- Assist with blue whale conservation as you travel alongside professional local researchers.
- Stay in a luxurious Sri Lankan property with a stunning, sandy beach.
- Witness other marine mammals including sea turtles, white risso dolphins, spinner dolphins and pilot whales.
- Limited to just four guests.