Join Natural World Safaris and COMO on an exclusive small group photography workshop that takes you to the heart of the enigmatic Himalayan nation of Bhutan. A landlocked country where religion and nature have come together to form a unique Buddhist culture, Bhutan’s reputation has given rise to monikers such as ‘hidden treasure’ or ‘the last Shangri-La’. This 8-day journey allows you to discover, experience and photograph the essence of Bhutan – its enchanting cultural heritage, Buddhist traditions and breathtaking landscapes – with guided excursions, photography tips and invaluable tuition from one of the world’s leading photographers, Michael Turek, who will serve as your specialist leader throughout the trip.
Even now, in the second decade of the 21st century, Bhutan remains an often inscrutable and inaccessible destination for many travellers. As such, this unique adventure will give you unparalleled access to the country, as you hike through spectacular mountain scenery, partake in fascinating cultural visits, climb up to the gravity-defying Tiger’s Nest Monastery, visit the iconic Punakha Dzong where a retinue of 1,000 monks reside, traverse remote Himalayan trails and receive a blessing at the Temple of the Divine Madman. We are focusing on the valleys of Paro and Punakha, both of which are famed for their magnificent dzongs, lush forests, serpentine rivers, snow-capped mountains, rural villages and ancient temples.
What Makes This Trip Extraordinary
- Having the unique chance to witness the dramatic landscapes and rich culture of this remote Himalayan kingdom, alongside expert local guides.
- Visiting the most prominent and sacred of Bhutan’s centuries-old temples and monasteries, gaining valuable insights into its ancient Buddhist traditions.
- Hiking up to Taktsang (also known as the Tiger’s Nest), Bhutan’s most iconic monastery, perched high on a cliffside above the Paro Valley.
- Learning from esteemed photographer Michael Turek, the specialist leader for your trip, who will conduct photography workshops and teach you the art of Kodak photography.
- Immersing yourself in the natural world with stays in two stunningly located COMO lodges, voted the best hotels in Asia by readers of Condé Nast Traveler.
- Hiking through Himalayan mountain trails, picturesque pine forests and idyllic river valleys.
- Visiting the villages and rural farmsteads of Punakha.
Eschew the standard safari experience and set foot in the Land of the Thunder Dragon.