Situated at the border with Botswana in South Africa’s northern reaches, the lesser-known Madikwe Game Reserve is the fifth-largest of its kind in the country, at 75,000 hectares. It is home to an abundance of wildlife, including the world-renowned Big Five, a healthy population of endangered painted dogs, and over 350 bird species, from the ostrich to the kori bustard. The landscape is characterised by vast grasslands, woodlands, and the rugged Tshwene Tshwene Hills. Visitors can look forward to sunset drinks overlooking the Madikwe Dam, ample game-viewing opportunities and staying in the lap of luxury at Morukuru Owner's House.
What makes this trip extraordinary
- Discover the natural wonders on show in one of South Africa's largest but lesser-known game reserves.
- View iconic African wildlife on bush walks and game drives.
- Encounter packs of highly social painted dogs, an endangered species which can only be found in a select few parks and reserves. Madikwe's dogs are familiar with humans and safari vehicles, which makes for some fantastic photo opportunities.
- Explore the reserve's diverse landscapes alongside expert rangers.
- Indulge in the sumptuous spa treatments at Morukuru Owner's House and visit the well-stocked wine cellar.
- Free from malaria and with a large quantity of wildlife, Madikwe makes for a great family safari destination.